Exchange 2007 after Windows 2008 Upgrade Part 3

After having issues with a potential bug on Feb the 29th, I’ve finally gotten things straightened out. 

Today I attempted to move the mailboxes again, but received the same error message.

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Elapsed time: 00:00:08

User’s Mailbox
Failed

Error:
The address list service on the server ‘servername.fqdn’ is not running. The Exchange server address list service failed to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy configuration error.

The Exchange server address list service failed to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy configuration error.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
‘fqdn/Managed Users/User’ | move-mailbox -BadItemLimit ‘10’ -TargetDatabase ‘servernameFirst Storage GroupMailbox Database’

Elapsed Time: 00:00:08

It turns out that all I needed to do was restart the System Attendant service on the machine I was trying to move the mailboxes to.  After I did that, everything moved successfully.  I then attempted to hit OWA on the new machine and it was successful!  So I finished moving all the mailboxes over, changed ISA to point to the new server name, imported the right certificate and I’m good to go.  Almost 5 days of downtime, but no email lost, yay!

Now I just need to decommission the old Exchange box and give the new one more RAM.  Not a bad few days work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *