With Computex in full swing and Windows 8 Release Preview being released last week, I think it’s time I start thinking about a new tablet. A few of my colleagues and I have been really excited about having a tablet that can also double as a media center. In fact, one of them currently uses his Samsung Slate in just such a fashion.
- 10″ or 11″ display with >=200ppi
- Minimum of 8 hour battery life
- Ivy Bridge CPU
- Active Digitiser for pen support (yay OneNote!)
- TPM Module
- WIDI or WHDI
- USB 3 port
- HDMI port
- 64-128GB SSD
- >=4GB RAM (would like it to be upgradeable)
- Ideally, the ability to drive 2 24″ external monitors
Based on what I’ve seen so far, this definitely looks like it could be possible in the very near future!
Update: Well, after the MSFT announcement, it looks like we have a tablet that is definitely a front-runner (Pro). There are some outstanding questions, but it looks like it ticks most of the boxes…
- 10″ or 11″ display with >=200ppi – 207 ppi!
- Minimum of 8 hour battery life – No idea yet…
- Ivy Bridge CPU – Yes!
- Active Digitiser for pen support (yay OneNote!) – Yes!
- TPM Module – We think so!
- WIDI or WHDI – No idea yet…
- USB 3 port – Yes!
- HDMI port – DisplayPort gives the same flexibility!
- 64-128GB SSD – Yes!
- >=4GB RAM (would like it to be upgradeable) – Not sure, but should be 4GB!
- Ideally, the ability to drive 2 24″ external monitors – No, but a matrox dualhead2go would work.