Today was the official announcement of VI3, VMWare’s next release of ESX and Virtual Center. After watching the webcast this morning, I’m more than a little bit stoked.
Some of the things I’m looking forward to are
- NAS support
- USB support
- Drag and drop in virtual center
- New, more performant VMFS 3
- 4-way SMP and 16 GB of RAM support for virtual machines
- High Availibility features
- Support for Solaris
- Ability to run non-VMWare machines
- Removal of the web interface
I can’t wait to get the final bits loaded on my machine. I’ve actually been debating installing beta 2 on my home machine for awhile, but haven’t because of time constraints. However, I’ll have to put a few things on hold to install the final version.
There are also a few new whitepapers on VI3 already on VMWare’s website, so you can get a head start before it’s actually released.